The main two internationally recognised qualifications for project managers are PRINCE2 and the PMI’s PMBOK qualifications.
- PRINCE2® - (an acronym for PRojects IN Controlled Environments) is a de facto process-based method for effective project management used in private and public sector organisations throughout the world. There are two PRINCE2 qualifications: PRINCE2 Foundation (covers the basic methodology and terminology of PRINCE2) and PRINCE2 Practitioner (the highest PRINCE2 qualification, giving full project management expertise within the PRINCE2 environment) - many students take both courses back-to-back. There is a classroom-based as well as a self-study option.
Refer to http://www.prince2.com/ for more info on PRINCE2.
- Project Management Institute (PMI) – These courses prepare candidates to take certification exams with the PMI. The content is structured according to the PMI’s PMBoK® (Project Management Body of Knowledge). Besides the required classroom time, these courses also have a self-study component. The various PMI qualification options are as follows:
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)®
- Project Management Professional (PMP)®
- Program Management Professional (PgMP)®
- PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)SM
- PMI Risk Management Professional (PMI-RMP)®
- PMI Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP)®
Refer to http://www.pmi.org/ for more information on the PMBOK courses.
PMI vs PRINCE2:
While PMBOK is generally well-accepted worldwide, it is by far the leading approach in North America. PRINCE2 on the other hand is de-facto standard method for project management in the United Kingdom, with a strong presence in Europe, Australia, and other typically English-speaking countries outside North America. Refer to this link for a summary of the main differences between PMI’s PMBOK and PRINCE2.
To study these courses in South Africa, check out http://www.projectmanagement.co.za.
- end of a project management methodology? (manticoreblog.wordpress.com)
- The De-valued Professional Project Manager (fearnoproject.com)
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Training at your fingertips with iPhone, Blackberry and Android phones. (prweb.com)
Do you hold a project management qualification or are thinking of obtaining one? Do you think it is a necessary qualification for an accountant in order to project manage successfully? Let us know your thoughts.